English : Winter Cherry,Tamil : Amukkara Kizhangu, Telugu : Penneru gadda, Malayalam : Amukkuram, Kannada : Kanchuki, Hindi : Ashwagandha, Sanskri : Ashwagandha, Scientific name : Withania somnifera
Aathithya’s Ashwagandha powder is an exclusive preparation of Ashwagandha sourced using traditional Siddha methods. These methods, which are applied based on rare Siddha texts, makes Ashwagandha free from most toxins and fully enriched with the potency of the herb.
- It calms the nerves with its soothing and mild sedative property, induces better sleep, relieves stress and improves brain function.
- It is a natural Aphrodisiac, which promotes sexual fertility.
- It acts as an immunosuppressive agent useful in the treatment of many autoimmune diseases
- It is an active anti-inflammatory drug with its natural ability to suppress the development of pro-inflammatory molecules.
- Finally, the most amazing health benefit of ashwagandha is, it is potent in the treatment of cancers and acts against the development of tumors.
Ashwagandha is a herb used widely in Ayurvedic and other traditional medicines. It is also called as Winter Cherry or Indian Ginseng, particularly because of its natural Aphrodisiac properties. The herb has the potential to suppress Vata and acts against the rise of Kapha in the body. Grown widely in dry and sub-tropical regions of India, Ashwagandha finds use as a key ingredient in many natural drugs.
Ashwagandha has two main chemical properties of significant therapeutic value. It contains several alkaloids and the naturally occurring steroidal lactone called Withaferin A. It’s not only exciting but also surprising to know how our ancestors in the Indian subcontinent were able to identify these unique pharmaceutical uses of this plant and use them precisely for the treatment of specific ailments.
It is also important to note that Withaferin A in Ashwagandha has the potential to suppress the growth of tumor cells. It inhibits cell proliferation and cancer cell motility. As an effective anti-angiogenic inhibitor it curtails the growth of new blood cells thereby displaying its unique ability to treat cancers.
Although today, Ashwagandha is being promoted widely for its Aphrodisiac properties and its role in improving bodily vigor and physical fitness, the therapeutic use of Ashwagandha as an anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, anti-angiogenic and antitumor drug needs an explicit mention. And these properties of the plant have been tested and confirmed through various clinical studies.